SCRIPT TO STAGE
An eight-week immersive experience for playwright
Script to Stage provides playwright with theater professionals to help you realize your vision for your play. When you participate in our program, you receive five weeks of support with a dramaturg and three weeks with a creative team. The entire process takes you on a journey from script to stage, culminating in a staged reading in New York City.
What we provide
- A 5-week cycle with a dramaturg, including script consultation, conversations, and thorough feedback notes with an optional comprehensive evaluation following your staged reading.
- A creative team comprised of a director, actors, and stage manager/narrator chosen specifically to suit the needs of your script in consultation with you.
- An acting audition so that you may select your cast.
- A table reading and 3 rehearsals with your creative team.
- Rehearsal space and time.
- A professional staged reading in the heart of New York City’s Theater District showcasing your work with an audience.
- An optional feedback session with the audience.
- An optional reception immediately following your reading.
- A professional videotape of your staged reading.
- A closing out package with resources for playwright.
Please read what one of our participating playwright thought about the Script to Stage experience:
I thought I knew how to stage a reading of a play. But the Script to Stage Program was a new angle on how to produce a staged reading. I learned new ways to communicate with a dramaturg, a director, and the cast. I learned to be “open” to new approaches to the script.
I enjoyed Script to Stage’s process of the reading and gained confidence in my writing. I had to quickly learn how to organize the new scenes and adapt new phrases like the justification of the characters’ actions.
When a playwright hears his lines performed by actors in rehearsal, it can assist the
writer going into rewrites. The support and talent from the dramaturg, the stage director, and the cast were very good.
Rodrigo del Solar
Our policy is to accept every enrollment without prejudice providing you know the craft. Please note, we do not provide classes in playwriting.
We continue to be devoted to our community during this challenging time. In light of the current restrictions, Script to Stage is going virtual! Click here for a description of our adapted services.
Whether you’re looking to license a play, record a song, or take advantage of our other offerings, we would love to hear from you.